Tin Roof

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Testimony Tuesday- Megan's Story

Here is a little background on my history: All of my life, I grew up in a fairly secular home. I had attended a few protestant churches here and there, but I was never affiliated with one in particular. As I entered into high school, my parents were both remarried to religious people. Through my dad and stepmother, I was learning Jewish tradition. My mother converted to Catholicism after marrying my stepfather, so I had a couple major religions in my life to learn from. Although there were true aspects in both religions, I did not feel like I could commit to one or the other. Neither of them seemed complete to me.


Fast forward to my senior year: I had made a few friends in different classes and started hearing things about the LDS Church. Like many others, I had inaccurate, preconceived notions about the Church. However, since I knew actual members now, I felt comfortable asking questions myself. At that point, I was still uninterested in any particular religion. I was just seeking some sort of truth. I gave many religions "test runs" and tried to learn through experience. After having the opportunity to get closer to a few LDS friends, I attended Church for the first time. Trust me when I say I was nervous. The idea of being at Church made me very uneasy. As soon as I entered though, I felt more at peace. Although I did not realize then, it was the first time bearing witness to the Holy Ghost

Quickly, I became fascinated by the LDS Church. I needed to know more, yet my pride was too great to talk to my friends about it. I started talking to the missionaries online from Mormon.org. Specifically, Elder LeeMaster and his companion chatted with me, and then asked if they could call me. After that, they gave me many lessons over the phone. I was impressed with how well they answered my questions (and put up with my stubborn nature). I really felt things were falling into place in my life. I knew I was going to be baptized, it was just a matter of when. I was soon set up with the local missionaries. I took the lessons with them and within two weeks, I was scheduled to be baptized.

As I prepared for my baptism, my faith and love for Christ grew exponentially. The fears in my heart slowly receded and I felt comforted by the Holy Ghost. It was an experience that is difficult to put in words and it is something I will never forget. It seems impossible that it has already been a year since that critical time, but the past year has been the best in my life. Having the Gospel has made all of the difference. Knowing the Plan of Happiness and having the Atonement has been so fulfilling and helped me overcome struggles. I am grateful for Heavenly Father and for the patience he has with me as I study the scriptures and learn the principles of the Gospel. I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to go to Church every Sunday and learn there as well. I am grateful for the chance I have to partake of the sacrament each week and to feel the love of Christ and Heavenly father while I renew my baptismal covenants. In rough times, it is always reassuring to have the Gospel and knowing the importance of keeping strong faith.

After joining the Church, some of my family members (and even my friends) struggled with the idea of me being LDS. I reassured them that it was the best decision of my entire life. After being a member for over a year now, I am still so grateful to say that I have the Gospel in my life. The teachings of Christ have served as such a wonderful example to me. My happiness and perspective on life has developed, and I am so thankful for all the blessings the Gospel has brought into my life. It has not always been easy though. There are always people that try to accuse you of things or disagree with your faith; but the best thing I have learned is that I can help my testimony grow by loving everyone as Christ did. I know this is the true Church and that we have the restored Gospel. I can feel it in my heart every single day. The Church means everything to me and I cannot wait until I can share my life with someone who holds the same beliefs. Being married and sealed in the temple will make all of the difference in my future. It will be wonderful to have my own family that I can share the Gospel with. I am grateful for the founders of the Church who although they were persecuted, continued to stay faithful. Their integrity and determination to do what was right is something that I try to reflect on often. I am so thankful for the Gospel and for the chance I have to practice my faith freely, without persecution. I know that the Church and the Book of Mormon are true, and I would not be the same without them in my life. I leave that with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great testimony, Megan. Thanks for sharing. Your conversion story makes me wonder what I would have done if I had not been raised in a home with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Would I have the courage to seek out the truth, to commit to baptism, and really, to change my way of life in a big way? Would I have the courage to go against my parents' teachings? Would my parents have the courage to support my decision without fully understanding it?

    It's hard to imagine how difficult that would be for me. Thank you for your testimony and courage!

    ReplyDelete