Tin Roof

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Random Saturday Thoughts

When I was in elementary school my parents always used to have me walk to and from school. Of course it was always uphill and in 3 feet of snow. One fall morning in my first grade year it was particularly windy and cold. I was not excited to have to walk to school in that wind! I knew that walking out in the cold was necessary to make it to my destination, but it would be cold and hard and the wind was blowing hard enough that it could almost knock me over. I went to my dad and asked humbly for a ride to school since I was already late and it was so windy. He told me no, understanding that I needed to learn the valuable lesson of waking up for school on time, and bundling up for the cold weather. I cried and whined but couldn't convince him to take me to school. I started walking, wiping tears from my face, as the wind stung my exposed cheeks and nose.


I got barely a third of the way when I heard, and then turned to see, my dad's truck racing towards me down the street. He hadn't believed me that morning when I had said that it was VERY windy and cold out. But when he went to leave for work he realized exactly what he had sent me out into. The love of my father for me made him drop everything that he needed to do that morning to come to my rescue.

Just as I have an earthly father who came immediately to my rescue when I needed him, I know that we all have a Heavenly Father who is just as concerned about each of us individually as we travel through this mortal state. As we seek after Him He will rush to our aid anytime we need Him. One of the ways that I have found this to be true in my life is through the power of prayer. One of my favorite scriptures from the Book of Mormon about prayer says, " I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul."- 2 Nephi 32: 9

I know that God is there. He lives, and He loves us. He cares about each of us individually, and He wants to hear about our problems and our struggles. As we do things like pray and as we seek to have a relationship with Him He will always be there ready and waiting to help us in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Dad always was a softie with you, Todd. That's probably not a bad thing. :)

    ReplyDelete